Almost six months ago I have posted an article on the same topic (Failure configuring Windows updates) but was dedicated for Windows 7. I have received a phenomenal response on this post that shows that how many users are going through the same problem each day. This made me realize to post a fix for the users of Windows 8.
As per Microsoft, the only solution left with the user says that just “Allow your system to restart properly”. But still there are many users who are unable to fix the issue. The major causes of this problem are related to the two files present in the update list, namely KB2756872 and KB2770917 - Updates for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems.
To solve this error, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
1. On the startup screen select “Settings” option mentioned on the right-hand side edge of your screen. After this you need to select “Control Panel” option in the settings menu.
2. In the address bar you need to click on the small arrow present with the control panel option. (As shown in the image below). There in the drop down menu you are required to select “All control panel Items”
3. This will lead you to the all control panel items where you need to locate and select the option of “Windows Updates”
4. This will bring a pop-up window in front of you where you need to click on the “...important updates available'. If you don't have it click on 'Check for updates’, wait for Windows updates to search for update and click the '...important updates available.'
5. From the 'Select updates to install' look for 'Updates for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems(KB2756872)'', right-click on it and click 'Hide update'.
6. At 'Select updates to install' screen look for the second 'Updates for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2770917)'', right-click on it and click 'Hide update'.
After following all these steps, you need to click on the “Install” option and your system will restart and will start installing your updates. You can also watch the video below recorded by me that shows all the above steps in series. Hope it will help you. Do leave your comments below if you find it useful.